hello and welcome...

Hello and welcome to my blog, where I love to share a little of my life with you...I am so lucky to be a textile artist and maker...inspired by the beautiful countryside around me and by all sorts of things in my life....if you fancy a creative WORKSHOP take a look here or taking a peep at what's in my ETSY shop click here...thank you for paying me a visit today!



Wednesday 4 April 2012

make it...for Easter

April...sweet April..sunshine and showers...swelling and opening leaf buds on the trees...delicious colours of flowers and green shoots...and four feet of snow! Luckily not here..so the illusion of spring can continue...we've had rain to water the garden...a welcome refreshment...
 
 

Homes and Antiques calender full of loveliness to cheer and inspire when your own house is still full of wintery sloth and dust...a girl can dream...

feeling like a making session in the studio...and so (sew?!) a little something sunny and eastery has come to mind...playing with fabric...how easy to transform a piece of old woollen blanket and some little scraps into something pretty and homemade...use a touch of bondaweb if you have it...add some lace or ribbons...a little easy sewing and stitching...who needs to buy when you can make it yourself and have all the fun and pleasure of being crafty?










draw a little egg shape on paper to make a pattern and use that to draw lots of eggs on a piece of old blanket or thick felt...this is optional...sew 'happy easter' in the middle of each egg......take care it doesn't become happy eater...



use the pattern to cut out egg shapes from fabric - if you have any bondaweb iron it onto the fabric first then cut out..it is good to use as it keeps edges from fraying and makes it a bit stiffer to sew the next bit...add lace and ribbons...


once sewn in place trim to a nice egg shape...this bit is quite satisfying!


if you have sewn 'happy easter' onto the egg shapes on the blanket/felt..turn the fabric over and carefully lie the fabric egg shape over each set of words...bit tricky but do-able with care...otherwise just out the fabric eggs on anywhere...iron on if you've used bondaweb or just use an old fashioned pretty pin or two...



sew in place...note this egg has no ribbon or lace..it was actually a slightly different version when I was working out what order to sew things in...well spotted!


cut out... leave a little edge of blanket showing if you like...happiness is a little pile of egg shapes..aren't they just edible? positively almost as nice as choclate ones!


simply sew a nice piece of thickish thread with a good sturdy needle through the top of each egg...knot it to make aloop and voila...Easter starts here...






off to London for a few days now...to see wonderful grandparents...and getting much bigger 'small cousins' and favourite Swiss auntie and favourite uncle who are travelling over...hoping for more sunshine...may take my new Laura Ashley Spring skirt...I love the combo of pretty skirt...and my BIG boots which I adore...I call them my POWER boots cos they make me feel I CAN do anything!


hope you like my easter 'make it'...why not have a go..it's ever so easy and so pretty ..you could even write names on the back to give as personal little handmade presents...have a lovely week xx















3 comments:

Jo said...

I love, love, love these! Alas, not so clever so will be decorating our Easter tree with some bought and some dyed eggs as usual. Something to aim for next year tho! Thanks for sharing!

Emma Wigginton said...

Hi Jo, thanks for the love! Your easter tree sounds lovely too, happy Easter
Emma x

Emma Wigginton said...

Hi Jo, thanks for the love! Your easter tree sounds lovely too, happy Easter
Emma x