hello and welcome...

Hello and welcome to my blog, where I love to share a little of my life with you...I am so lucky to be a textile artist and maker...inspired by the beautiful countryside around me and by all sorts of things in my life....if you fancy a creative WORKSHOP take a look here or taking a peep at what's in my ETSY shop click here...thank you for paying me a visit today!



Monday 8 October 2012

urban journey...

from time to time a trip away from home takes me to Newcastle...and I love the contrast of being in town as I jump on the Metro and am thrust into the hustle and bustle of the city...I love to return to my heartland of the northeast and feel a different pulse...so here am at West Jesmond about to park and ride...I love the Metro as I feel real cosmopolitan and streetwise...let me take you by the hand and show you...

choose your destination...select your zone...is this a metaphor for life??





get the Metro message...read the signs and watch the people as they bustle on and sit in their own little world...and as they flash past whistling down the dark tunnels going somewhere...









wheee it's a long way down!


or a long way up...thank goodness for escalators...wonder who invented them??






and out into the bright sunshined and blue skied city centre...


I love the constrast of old and new...



flowers to brighten and soften the hard edged pavements and buildings...





Newcastle is full of memories as I grew up in Sunderland, and going to  Newcastle was an occasional exiting train ride with my Mum and brothers and sister...to go shopping in these great big shops ...and now I can't walk into what used to be Bainbridges (ok John Lewis) without thinking of many such shopping expeditions. When we moved to Morpeth, Newcastle became my city too as Sunderland was left behind...and later I moved to allegiance to Liverpool and student life...then lived near Guildford and Aberdeen....and still I get a buzz as I get near to Newcastle...even better if I come by train as there's something special about arriving across the bridee over the Tyne and enter the city so high up




the bright lights...


mmm...could fancy a pair of these..which colour would you go for?
 

mmm..maybe not but you have to admire..sort of...maybe it's an art installation rather than wearable footwear??


and at last...my second home...(no not Ikea)...textiles and yarn await ...duvet covers, pillowcases, new china bowls and all manner of exiting household treats...and all the time in the world for 'just looking'!!
see you in there ...meet you for a coffee...


3 comments:

Down by the sea said...

I have never been to Newcastle but have worked with Geordies in the past and they were so friendly and some of the nicer people I have known. I would love to visit the city. Great photos of the metro!
Sarah x

Emma Wigginton said...

thank you Sarah, I thought it was a bit different to my usual posts! there is much more to see in Newcastle and next time I am determined to to go to The Baltic art gallery on the quayside! perhaps I'll jst go as a tourist and see what I see! Emmax

found and sewn said...

looks like a great city!